Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Instagram/Facebook? PicYou?

A while ago my friend Jeremy sent me a link to Ed Kashi's blog where he discusses the potential for a rights grab by social networks. Go have a read. It's very interesting.

In line with all that, the recent acquisition of Instagram by Facebook for a whopping 1,000,000,000 dollars has created a not so mild disturbance in the Instagram universe. Not too sure why but it bugs me, too. Could be that I've read one too many negative stories about Facebook and privacy and their owner... could be that I have an inherent aversion to big takeovers--inevitably they always want to make the product "better" but just fuck it up... I don't know.

But the fact that I've learned (thanks to Ed Kashi's post) that Instagram has language in its terms of use that says essentially, yes you own your photos, but we can use them whenever and however we like, has made me take a closer look at PicYou. For one, they are for the moment still independent. And for two, if I'm reading their terms correctly they say, you own your pics and we will not use them. 

That's enough for me to give PicYou a whirl. I'll let you know if I think it's worth the change.

Cheers.

4 comments:

  1. Mike,

    These are important considerations. I would like to track down the conversation in Burn and see what opinions have been added to this topic...

    Never-the less perhaps not much if anything will change w/ Instagram interface...at least that is my hope.

    ...I might also add that I send most of my Instagram posts to Facebook for sharing anyway...larger audience, different circle of friends.

    The services that we are always being offered in the social media realm do come at a cost...agreeing to terms is one of them.

    Fortunately Photo shelter & Fedora Photo sites are wholly my own...

    The road forward is never clear cut...especially as we pioneer new frontiers in online media.

    Best, Jer

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for making the switch..I would stick it out with Instagram...the community is strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you're right...it is strong. Not making any moves for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've just launched a service that lets you send a copy of your Instagram photos, titles, comments and likes to PicYou (a great Instagram alternative). The website is http://jumpshipnow.com.

    ReplyDelete