Monday, March 28, 2011

Carolina Wren

The Carolina wren is a very small bird. It also happens to be one of the loudest. You hear that familiar "tea-kettle tea-kettle tea-kettle" blasting from your backyard, pull out the binocs and scan the underbrush and you find this tiny thing just belting it out! You think, that's what making all that racket? Sheesh.

Now, my brother is a hunter. One early morning, while waiting for some poor unsuspecting deer to stroll past (then blowing its brains out) he's sitting in a tree stand 20 feet above the forest floor. It's still dark, none of the wood creatures yet awake. Complete silence. Peaceful. At that moment, unbeknownst to him, a Carolina wren silently alights on a branch not three feet from his head. And then... "tea-kettle tea-kettle tea-kettle!!!" Gah! Startled to near heart failure!

Don't know if he bagged a deer that morning, but a four inch bundle of feathers nearly knocked him out of the tree. For the record, I'm glad it didn't. (I love my brother.) But yeah, I laughed my ass off when he told me about it! I'm slightly evil that way.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment