Monday, March 15, 2010

"The... horror. The... horror."

Latin Quarter, Paris. (le quartier Latin) The left bank. One of many beautifully historic sections of this historically beautiful city. Home to the Sorbonne, atmospheric narrow streets, stone walkways, romantic architecture, quaint cafes and bistros and Starbuuhh...whaaatt!? Starbucks? Ugh.

Yeah, yeah, I know... free enterprise, global trade and all that, but still... ugh. And don't get me wrong, I do loves me a nice Tall (which is actually small) Hazelnut Latte every now and again. But that made it no less jarring when I turned the corner on those lovely old streets, reveling in the history, the beauty... and whamo! there's that familiar hideous green sign.

Ah well. Nothing new. The "Golden Arches" can be found about a stone's throw from the Arc de Triomphe.

C'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment