Thursday, January 3, 2008

Sunset

I believe it was Galen Rowell who said he photographed sunsets at every opportunity. There's one every day so why not? Same "sustained thermonuclear fire" as ever. (Here's the actual quote: "You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either." ) As the golden orb --Cold Comfort Farm, anyone? Anyone?--OK well, as it gets closer to the horizon the light working its way through the thicker atmosphere just can't be beat. People travel all over the world looking for the best sunset experience. A blanket and a bottle of wine in the Marin Headlands; a rustic cabin on a lagoon in the San Juan Islands; the drunken stumble of a freak show at Mallory Square in Key West. All worthy sunset viewing spots. However, next time you find yourself in front of a spectacular sunset (or sunrise for that matter), turn around. Something or someone behind you is being bathed in wonderful photographic light! I noticed this over the weekend in Blue Ridge Summit. And as I am lucky enough to have tolerant and willing subjects all around me, I had no choice but to take advantage. Thanks Matt, Jodi and Chris. You look great!

1 comment:

  1. Nice stuff. As I said to you in my email I only wish I was more available during sunsets. I'm usually driving home or getting dinner ready or doing homework with Caroline or.... well you get the idea.

    BTW: I like the new header pic and the slight changes made to the overall blog. The description is classic. ;-)

    ReplyDelete